Rhinebeck fire damages garage, vehicles

A 2-alarm fire at a secluded house in Rhinebeck Sunday afternoon, Feb. 9, was put out in 15 minutes by firefighters who kept the flames confined to a garage. No one was hurt, but two vehicles in the garage sustained fire damage.

The cause was determined to be fireplace ashes that had been put in a plastic container and then placed in the garage, according to a Rhinebeck Fire Department news release.

The house, at 310 Enterprise Road, is occupied by Madhav and Rebecca Tadikonda and their two children; it was unclear whether they were home at the time.

The department was dispatched at 3:37pm, the report said, and the first arriving officer requested a second alarm due to the location of the house, which is down a long driveway, and the snow cover and limited water supply.

Arriving firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, containing it in the garage, which sustained fire, heat and smoke damage, as did a Mercedes SUV and John Deere quad.

The fire department reminded the public that fireplace ashes should be put in a metal container with a metal cover and then placed outside the house in an area free from combustible material or items. Ashes can continue to smolder for a day or two after being removed from the fireplace and so they can be a fire hazard when stored inside the home.

Assisting the Rhinebeck fire department at the scene were the Hillside, Red Hook, West Clinton, Milan and Ulster Hose #5 fire departments and the Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office and state police. The Staatsburg and Tivoli fire departments relocated to the Rhinebeck fire station to cover any other calls.

Facebook Comments

Enjoy having this local, independent, nonprofit news source? Help us keep reporting and become a member today. Already a member? Sign in to get rid of this notice.