A large log-cabin style home on Route 9G in Rhinebeck was extensively damaged March 21 in an afternoon blaze fueled by strong winds and brought 10 fire departments to the scene. The owner of the home, Peter Pius, was inside but escaped without injury, along with his dogs, according to Henry Campbell, public information officer for the Rhinebeck Fire Department. Campbell said the cause of the blaze, at 2829 Route 9G, appears to be accidental. The Rhinebeck Fire Department was assisted by the Milan, Red Hook, Hillside, West Clinton, Ulster Hose, Staatsburg, Rhinecliff, Tivoli, and Roosevelt fire departments, along with State Police and Northern Dutchess Paramedics, Campbell said.
Fireworks flew on the third floor of City Hall Tuesday night when newly-elected council chair Da’Ron Wilson called in police to remove regular attendee Laurie Sandow during the public comment period.