More than 100 antique tools, from a large carpenter’s toolbox rescued from a basement in Poughkeepsie years ago, will be on display in Clinton Corners next month to illustrate a key part of the town’s history.
According to the Clinton Historical Society, the tools had belonged to Sherman Hoyt, who was one of the team of carpenters who built the Clinton Town Hall in 1924. A group of 11 volunteers gathered on June 14 to help clean the tools and ready them for the exhibit, which will be held at the Creek Meeting House, at 2433 Salt Point Turnpike, from 12-4pm on Saturdays and Sundays, Aug. 2-3, Aug. 9-10, and Aug. 16-17. Admission is free but donations are accepted.
The historical society noted that some of the tools—and the toolbox itself—may date well back into the 1800s. The tools include many planes; 34 of them are still neatly fitted into the box’s bottom level. A half dozen other planes are marked “F.L.S. /T. Palmer/Po’Keepsie.” Two others were made by the “Greenfield Tool Co/Greenfield, Mass,” which was in business from 1851 to 1883. A very large chisel marked “Douglass Mfg Co” seems to be among those listed in an advertising circular, “Mechanics’ Tools Manufactured By Douglass Manufacturing Company … Warehouse, 45 & 47 Chanbers [sic] Street, New York. May 1st, 1873.” And an “iron” or blade from a wood-bottom bench plane is marked Sargent & Co. US WARRANTED. The Sargent Company of New Haven was making planes from 1869-1926.