Basketball: Both teams headed to Section 9 Class A finals on Sunday

Both Red Hook’s Boys and Girls basketball teams will be headed to the Sectional finals this Sunday after the girls beat Marlboro in a 55-48 decision and the boys soundly defeated New Paltz 68-54.

Following three pointers from Joe Stortini and Ray Wright and a pair of two point Red Hook field goals, New Paltz called for a timeout at the 5:28 mark. New Paltz scored on a lay in after the timeout, and were immediately rebutted by Stortini, who netted a split-second fifteen-footer under double coverage.

Red Hook finished the first quarter leading the Huguenots 21-6. Ray Wright started the second with a trey. New Paltz continued to look outmatched by the Mighty Raiders, and finished the half in a thirteen point hole.

Red Hook buried New Paltz in the third. Following a slew of dynamic Red Hook field goals – including, but not limited to, a Yegor Sjutpan inside layup, an in-your-face three from Ray Wright (followed by a ‘Superman’ celebration), and a customary Nolan Parr trey – New Paltz was completely deflated. Red Hook led 51-32 with three left on the clock in the third quarter.

New Paltz showed some grit in the fourth, but it was way, way too little, and way, way too late. The Huguenots cut the Red Hook lead to 11, but a pair of breakaway field goals gave the Raiders enough breathing room to send in seldom used guards Mike Rogers and Paddy Parr, and freshman center Will Avis.

As usual, Stortini was buckets, finishing with 20 points and shooting 6 for 7 from the line.

The Raiders have a huge grudge match with the Marlboro Iron Dukes this Sunday at SUNY New Paltz. Marlboro bounced Red Hook out of the MHAL tournament in late February.

It wasn’t so easy for the Lady Raiders.

Following a leadoff trey from the Lady Raiders to open the first, Marlboro ran a heavy, yet ineffective double team, biting on nearly every Red Hook pump fake and fake pass. Red Hook led flustered Marlboro 12-7 at the end of the first.

The tables turned in the second quarter. Red Hook was having trouble containing Marlboro’s bigs as Marlboro opted for a less graceful game, sending Red Hook to the line on nearly every scoring attempt. The rattled Lady Raiders had trouble sinking their free throws, especially popular target Siena O’Han, who was 11 for 16 from the stripe.

The Raiders still led at the half, 21-17. The teams traded blows in the third, and Marlboro tied Red Hook at the five minute mark in the fourth. But the Lady Raiders pulled away after a statement Kyla Gabriel jump-stop layup and a trio of driving field goals.

Marlboro, still cold from the floor in the third and fourth, showed no touch and consistently hit the back end of the iron. Marlboro, despite their scoring woes, would press the Lady Raiders until the final seconds, making the Lady Raiders earn their 55-48 win.

O’Han finished the game leading the Raiders with 15 total points.

Facebook Comments